Perspective: As a Muslim, I say hate groups will not hold us hostage | Mansura Minhas


This presidency concerns me but I am not scared. I am instead hopeful that my children’s liberties will remain intact in America, and they won’t be denied the rights that I was denied growing up.

Times of Ahmad | News Watch | US Desk
Source/Credit: Miami Herald
By Mansura Minhas | August 14, 2017

The election of Barack Obama as president of the United States, undeniably, was a landmark moment in American and world history. However, it also heralded an era of identity politics juxtaposed between black and white. What was supposed to be a watershed moment, unleashed some of the worst of America. Racial reverberations began to erupt and, in just eight years, America has regressed to an era that echoes of the Jim Crow years. White supremacy groups came out of the closet and rallied in support of a populist presidential candidate.

And that emergence to the public spotlight has led to ongoing racially based attacks — such as what happened a few days ago in Charlottesville.

What happened in Charlottesville is an abomination — but it is also American history. It is a culmination of the excesses of far-right, white supremacists emboldened by this presidency. Supremacists are laying out their hateful agenda with impunity. They are invoking the support of a president whose key adviser proclaims white supremacy and repudiates African Americans, Jews, and women. Prominent white supremacist leaders are declaring that the alt-right unity fiasco “fulfills the promises of Donald Trump.”
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Read more

Subscribe to receive free email updates:

0 Response to "Perspective: As a Muslim, I say hate groups will not hold us hostage | Mansura Minhas"

Post a Comment